How to choose basketball shoes?
If you are a serious or frequent player of basketball, then it is imperative that you get a pair of basketball shoes to play the game. Wearing regular shoes during basketball is not advisable. They do not offer the proper grip or traction. As a result, not only are they uncomfortable, they will also affect your game. A number of different types of basketball shoes are available on the market. There are a number of things to keep in mind when you go shopping for basketball shoes.
Steps to buying basketball shoes
Here are some important tips about how to buy basketball shoes:
- • Choosing the correct size is a must. Get a fresh measurement at the time of buying the shoe instead of relying on the measurement for your regular shoe.
- • The style of play is one of the most important factors deciding which basketball shoes would suit you best. If you are a power player, you will need heavier shoes to obtain greater cushioning. On the other hand, a fast player should choose lightweight low cut shoes. For the all around player, basketball shoes must offer ankle support and a degree of cushioning.
- • Another essential characteristic of basketball shoes is the shoe cut. There are three different types of uppers used in basketball shoes – each with its own merits:
o High tops are by far the greatest favorite as they offer stability and ankle support.
o Mid tops are suitable for players who prefer speed to stability.
o Low tops are not very common though they are light.
- • Today, uppers of basketball shoes are no longer made exclusively of leather. All synthetic materials have become more common.
- • Check the midsole. It should be comfortable enough to provide adequate cushioning.
- • Basketball shoes offer a number of closing systems like zippers, straps, laces and Velcro. The Velcro straps are suitable only for kids. Apart from this, you can choose any closing system you like.
- • Finally, stability of basketball shoes is another element to consider while making your choice. A stable base is created by a flat and wide outsole. If you plan to play indoors, the lighter soles are okay. However, if you plan mostly to play outdoors, you should get basketball shoes with heavy rubber outsoles.
- • You should always try on the basketball shoes before buying them. This is of course not possible if you buy them over the internet. In that case, check the specifications thoroughly before buying them.
A few precautions
Here are a few precautions that you should keep in mind while buying basketball shoes:
- • Do not compromise quality for price. It may not only affect your game but also lead to pain in calf muscles.
- • Women should not buy men’s basketball shoes as the construction is different. Men’s shoes are wider and offer less grip and stability.
- • Wear your basketball shoes only when playing the game. This will help to increase the longevity of the shoes.